Apa-apai (’enforcer of respect’)
The square-ended club (apa’apai - ‘enforcer of respect’) was carved from toa wood (Casuarina equisetifolia). Its appearance mimicked the shape of the coconut leaf stem. However, its form symbolises a chief’s legitimate authority and power, hence its name. These high-status clubs were gifted and traded with the commanding officers of European ships. This apa’apai was acquired by Captain Cook on his second or third voyage, later donated by Henry Vaughan to the Museum in 1868.
|Full Name||square-ended club|
|Common Name||apa-apai (’enforcer of respect’)|
|Collection class||Arms and armour|
|Production year low||1769|
|Production year high||1777|
|Function detail||Acquired from the Leverian auction of 1807 by Henry Vaughan’s father and uncle - Henry Vaughan donates to RAMM in 1868. Originally given to Sir Ashton Lever by Captain Cook from his second or third voyage.|